Saturday, February 16, 2008

Brunch for one

I love eating good meals with friends and family. But eating alone is equally delicious in its own way. Particularly if said meal is brunch at Meze in Adams Morgan on a sunny Saturday morning.

Having spent about sixteen hours straight in bed (thanks to a nasty cold and lots of Nyquil), getting out of my apartment for brunch was an especially appealing idea. Also, my beloved but ancient coffeemaker had chosen this morning to stage its dramatic denouement (think lots of hissing and smoking), so coffee at home was out of the question. With newspaper in hand, I headed over to Meze for some caffeine and nourishment.

From the moment I entered Meze, the staff seemed to anticipate my every whim. I was whisked over to a nice big corner table (the better to spread out with my newspaper), and immediately a waiter brought over a steaming mug of strong Turkish coffee. (Could it be that I actually look caffeine-deprived?)

Meze's menu features a varied selection of Turkish mezze, or "small plates" (think tapas, 'cept Turkish, not Spanish). As good as all the small plates sounded, I went with a more traditional brunch choice - the"Meze Eggs," two poached eggs over toasted English muffin and smoked salmon, topped with a creamy tomato-flavored Hollandaise sauce. I ordered a side of sauteed spinach too, which I spooned over the eggs.

With such good food and never-ending coffee refills, the Style section was all the company I needed for a great brunch.

Good to know:
Meze is located at 2437 18th Street, a quick walk up from the Dupont Metro or down from the Woodley Park/Zoo Metro (both on the Red Line).

Photo of Meze's interior taken from SieteTango.

No comments: