Sunday, November 25, 2007

A Napoleon Complex

The days are short, and the air is chilly. Patio happy hours and summer cocktails feel like a distant memory. But that's no reason to pout when the clock strikes 5 o'clock. Adams Morgan's sophisticated new bistro, Napoleon, is the perfect place to cozy up to a couple of drinks and some casual French fare. The Parisien-inspired spot has quickly become my office's post-work venue of choice. The best part? Napoleon's drink menu features an extensive list of champagne cocktails, sure to warm you up in no time.

When I went with co-workers, I tried "A Good Night Kiss," made with Campari, champagne, and Angostura bitter. The bitters made for an interesting contrast to the champagne's sweet fizz. If you find yourself reminiscing about warm summer nights, "La Tropicale" (champagne and mango nectar) will ease your nostalgie. My co-worker, R., had the "French 75," made with Bombay Saphhire, lemon juice, and champagne. I must say, I've seen nary a classier silhouette in Adams Morgan than R. sipping her sparkly ice blue drink from a slender glass flute, the twinkly lights of Columbia Road and 18th Street flickering outside. Napoleon's vibe is a far cry from the usual debauchery that descends on its environs at dark, that's for certain.

All that champagne gave us a good excuse to sample some of Napoleon's bistro fare. The pommes frites are dangerously addictive, and come with ketchup and a sweet tarragon-flecked mayonnaise. The mussels aren't as plump and juicy as I've had elsewhere, but the sauce from the Moules Marinieres (white wine, shallots, and garlic) makes for some divine dunking action with the gratis bread basket. I haven't had a chance to try the rest of the menu, but the savory crepes sound especially promising, as does the Cote d'Agneau (rack of lamb, served with potato gratin). Napoleon also serves brunch, and must be doing a fine job of it - the place is always packed when I walk by on weekends.

In addition to the restaurant upstairs, there's also also a moodily lit downstairs lounge. Think slouchy leather couches, exposed brick, and glowing lanterns mounted on the wall. Though it was empty when I saw it (I took the liberty of peeking around a bit on a trip to the ladies' room downstairs), it's not hard to imagine the room filled with people sitting and talking quietly over those exquisite champagne cocktails (which, by the way, are half price between 5 and 8 p.m.). It's almost enough to make a girl forget about those warm August evenings, sipping Blue Moons on the rooftop at The Reef. Almost.

Good to know:
Napoleon is located at 1847 Columbia Road, NW. It's not terribly close to a Metro stop (probably a 15-minute walk from the Woodley Park - Zoo/Adams Morgan stop on the Red line. I recommend a cab, especially post-champagne, but there is some limited street parking available on the surrounding blocks.

The atmosphere is upscale casual. I felt fine, if a bit stuffy, in my work clothes, but I would definitely change into my slouchy black boots, dark jeans, and gray Marc Jacobs tunic top to hit up the downstairs lounge.

Photo by Flickr user Roboppy.

No comments: