Sunday, January 27, 2008

Zorba's Cafe: Hellas good

When I studied abroad in Greece, I was completely enthralled by not only the friendly people and unspeakably gorgeous countryside, but also the bright and savory flavors of Greek food. I still dream about the lamb gyros from the street vendor in the the Plaka, a neighborhood in Athens, near the apartment where I stayed. The thing about Greek food (and much Mediterranean cuisine, actually) is that it needn't be complicated to be good. In fact, most often, the simplest dishes are the best.

And when I'm feeling nostalgic for the simple pleasures of taverna-style food, nothing satisies my craving like Zorba's Cafe. The Dupont Circle establishment that serves up excellent renditions of classic Greek dishes like Mousaka, Souvlaki, Pastitsio, and of course, Gyros, as well as awesome hummus and - my favorite - tzatziki.

So when my sister and Megan were in town visiting me, and we wanted a quick yet satisfying bite to eat, Zorba's was a no-brainer. I ordered the Gyro Plate (or Yero Plate, as it's spelled on the menu) - marinated sliced beef and lamb on pita bread, a Greek salad, and french fries. My sister got the Fasolia Plakee, which is white beans cooked with tomatoes, onions, and herbs, and Megan ordered the Kefte Kebabs (Mediterranean meatballs).

It was an unseasonably warm night, so we took our food out to Zorba's patio to people watch on 20th Street while we ate. (Zorba's doesn't do table service. You just order food at the counter and then can either dine in or take it to go.)

The food was simple and delicious. The service was friendly, the vibe relaxed. It's not the Plaka, but it's about as close as it gets here in the District.

Good to know:
Zorba's Cafe is located at 1612 20th Street, NW, pretty much across the street from the north entrance of the Dupont Circle Metro Stop on the Red Line.

Photo of Zorba's Cafe by Flickr user Skippy13.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HALLOS my friend - i am so happy to read your writing again...it reminds me of our newslab days together (whoa!). you have pretty much perfected the art of writing about the cityscene, i'm sure there's a name for that...and it makes me want to go to d.c. again to visit :). or actually, it would be preferable to bring you up to boston and have you snoop around town and tell me where to eat/shop/frolic.

hope you're well, and keep me posted on whatever adventures you're up to!